Pages

Thursday, January 5, 2017

Rise - One Little Word 2017



It is hard to believe that almost a year has passed since I posted on this blog, which was created when my one little word was turn.  I wanted to turn more toward God, but that is a constant struggle for me.  That is why I appreciate the small community of bloggers who write for Spiritual Journey Thursday.  Holly Mueller at Reading, Teaching, Learning began the community, and it slowly grew.  We took a hiatus for awhile, but Irene Latham at Live Your Poem has brought the group back together.  Each month will feature a different topic from a different blogger.  This month's roundup about our One Little Word is hosted by Carol at Beyond LiteracyLink.

When I chose Rise as my one little word this year, I knew I wanted to make a positive difference in the lives of others.  I knew I wanted to..

Rise each day with
love on my lips
hope in my heart
thankfulness in my thoughts
...always in my actions.

At Catholic mass we make the sign of the cross on our heads, lips, and hearts before the reading of the Gospel.  This is a way of praying and inviting the Word of God to be "in our minds, on our lips, and in our hearts."

I was not thinking about this part of mass when I wrote my words.  (Honestly, I wrote "hope in my heart" and was trying to use alliteration.)  It wasn't until much later when I realized the connection between being positive and opening my heart to the Word.

My first day back at school I became frustrated with a colleague about being negative.  As I was talking about it with a different colleague, I realized I was doing the same thing.  If this had been a resolution, I would have broken it four days into the new year.

This is the power of one little word.  It is a guide, and we do not have to feel as if we have failed when we have a set back.

I also have created a purpose for positivity for each month.  This gives me ways to use words other than rise.  

January is "Embrace challenges."  I think back to the book of Exodus when the Israelites were escaping the Egyptians.  When God led them out of Egypt, he didn't make the journey easy.  They experience challenges as they traveled through the dessert and reached the Red Sea.  And when they were being chased by the Egyptian army, they were afraid of what may happen if they were caught.  But Moses told them, "The Lord will fight for you, you need only to be still."  Exodus 14:14

It is when we meet these challenges with God's Word is in our minds, on our lips, and in our hearts, that we can Rise above them.  I ask you to embrace the challenges with me, knowing that God will fight for all of us.
My 2017 Manifesto

4 comments:

  1. Leigh Anne, I love what you wrote to proclaim your one word, rise. I remember turn and now you will rise from the earth to the clouds with love in your heart. Your voice is clearly moving in a direction that will allow you to rise in a reflective way. Positivity is the path that you seek as do many of us. Isn't it wonderful to be in fellowship with people who live in faith?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful word - "rise" - Leigh Anne. I also really like your manifesto poster. I was at a Catholic funeral last weekend, and noticed some of the hand motions before reading the scripture passage. I didn't know what they meant. Thanks for explaining them. Those symbolic physical movements are so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way you're woven your monthly purpose into your OLW intentions for the year. It's a great way to keep the focus going all year long. And I love the use of scripture on your poster, as well as the one you shared today from Exodus: "The Lord will fight for you, you need only to be still." Being still is such a challenge for me, but I know it's an important meditative practice. I'll embrace the challenge of being still, never easy for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leigh Anne: Thank you for this wonderful start to the year. I appreciate all your scripture references, and I think I will adopt Exodus 14:14 is a particularly good one for me right now. Thanks for sharing your word and your journey.

    ReplyDelete