Pages

Monday, February 23, 2015

I Am


I have been hanging out in the book of Exodus this week because while researching Ramona's word, stretch, I found the words, "Stretch out my/your hands" many times.  But a single verse is one that spoke to me today.

This verse is found after Moses discovered God in the burning bush and was asked by God to lead the  people of Israel from oppression.  Moses questioned God.  When I tell them "The God of your Fathers has sent me to you, and they say to me What is His name?  What shall I say to them?" ~ Exoduxs 3:13

God answered with:

 ..."I Am who I Am." ~ Exodus 3:14

I am sure Moses was confused because I know I would be.  How can we possibly wholly define who and what God is?  How can we explain God?

We can't.

Stormie Omartian says in her book,  Praying God's Will for Your Life, "The Lord has many names in the Bible, and each one expresses an aspect of His nature or His attributes.  When we acknowledge Him, we invite Him to be those things to us.

He is everything I need at any given moment.

On those days I feel hopeless, He is my Hope.  (Psalm 71:5)

When I am weak, I ask him to be our Strength (Isaiah 12:2).

When I have a difficult decision to make, I ask Him to be our Wisdom.  (1Corinthians 1:24)

Stormie has a list of thirty attributes of the Lord.  I have listed here just a few:

He is my Restorer (Ps. 23:3)
He is my Helper (John 14:16)
He is my Patience ( Rom. 15:5)
He is my Refuge from the Storm (Isa. 25:4)
He is my Healer (Mal. 4:2)
He is my Shield ((Ps. 33:20)
He is my Light (John 6:35)

I know the more I accept that He is all of these things, the sooner He will become them in my life.  Walking through scripture is helping me to open my heart to everything He is and to everything I need.

No comments:

Post a Comment